Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Meet Your Bloggers: Whitney

Whitney, Co-Creator/Blogger


[Me with What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day by Pearl Cleage]

About Me:
I'm a writer and aspiring editor in NYC that will read nearly anything. Seriously, anything. I'm also slowly realizing that I'm a bit of a feminist. But in a cute way :)

What I do on UL:

Wax poetic/pissed (depending on the mood + book) on books new and old. My unofficial job is also to try to get the other bloggers to join me in reading books by DWM (dead white men) that are labeled classics :)

Favorite Book:
The Wonder Spot by Melissa Bank. I wrote lots and lots about it here.

Favorite Place to Read:
The subway, hands down. It's relaxing and it makes the fellow passengers think that you're smart.



[With Co-Creator Nicole in 2006]

Favorite Movie based on a Book:
Great Expectations with Gwyneth Paltrow

What I Like to Do When I'm Not Reading:

Writing, Watching anything on HBO or the Food Network, baking, planning on working out (but never actually going to the gym)

Favorite Websites (besides Uptown Literatti, of course):

Jezebel.com, Salon.com, Shopbop.com, FoodNetwork.com, NYMag.com

Favorite Thing about UL:

Everything! But definitely learning more about my friends through their book selections and insights.

4 comments:

Elle* said...

Heeeey girls! R u the same Teacake Whitney? (I know u had a blog called "the bad girl's guide..." some time ago) well, if u r, I wanna give u a huge shout-out and let u know that I'm a fellow NY Teacaker and bibliophile...Small world indeed!

whitney said...

OMG Elle, yes I AM! lOL, it is a small world...do you actually go to teacake meetings? I haven't been since like April :( but i'm going to force myself to overcome all odds and make it to the next one...maybe i'll run into you there!

And yes, the blog still exists, albeit not updated as frequently as it should be :(

Ananda said...

hi ladies. i just discovered your blog. wow. i found it through whitney's blog via the new essence online community. i am loving the flow and vibe hear. i am going to add a link to the bap living social networking site so the other bap living members will know about ul. many blessings, ananda

Nicole said...

Wow! That sounds great, Ananda. Thanks so much, and we'd love to hear more from you and other great bap members over here at UL! Take care!