Thursday, June 5, 2008

Summer Reading + Favorite Children's Book: Whitney

Even as I read our second UL selection, The Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by the phenomenal James Joyce, I still have tons of books in my head that I want to read or revisit, including some awesome kiddie books and a couple of memoirs.


What Happened: Inside the Bush White House and What's Wrong with Washington

by Scott McClellan

I'm a simultaneous history buff and lover of juicy gossip, so these memoirs by former White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan will be a perfect summer read for me while I'm waiting at the airport or laying out at the beach.



The Audrey Hepburn Treasures

by Various Authors

Ever since I saw Breakfast at Tiffany's, I've been completely enamored with the life and work of Ms. Hepburn. I've seen this book for years at Urban Outfitters but this summer in NYC will be the perfect time to add this collector's item to my bookshelf.





Blubber

by Judy Blume

This was one of my favorite books as a kid. Linda is a 4th grader struggling with finding a balance between being well-liked and doing what's right and not teasing the overweight girl in class (who everyone has nicknamed "blubber"). I LOVED the book when I first read it and it, along with other Blume classics like Are You There God, It's Me Margaret, Tales of the Fourth Grade Nothing and Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great are defining pieces of my childhood.

Happy Summer!
Whitney

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Yay for Judy Blume! 'Margaret' was so pivotal even VH1's "I Love the 80s" had to shout her out! lol