Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Summer Reading: Nicole

Hey everyone!

The Summer is upon us! Something about the idea of gathering a bunch of books to indulge in between hectic schedules and priorities makes me wriggle in my chair like a giddy child. I get really excited over book covers and designs, the chance to explore someone's perspective on life, or the chance to find a new hero(ine) with whom to identify. I'd love to share with you some summer reads that I hope help me achieve the aforementioned, whether on a plane, train, or beach chair :)

Fruit of the Lemon
by Andrea Levy

I first heard about this book though a review by Patrick Henry Bass of Essence magazine in 2006. I read the first few pages in B&N and really loved Levy's voice. At the time school (and my impending graduation) was a primary reason why I couldn't devote more time to the book, but this summer is my chance to make a more conscious effort.



Unaccustomed Earth
by Jhumpa Lahiri

It's no secret that I love Jhumpa Lahiri. And I love short stories just as much. Thankfully, Jhumpa has provided the best of both worlds again with another collection that focuses on the immigrant experience and spans from Seattle to India to Thailand. Family secrets are explored yet again through Lahiri's quiet and powerful voice.


Garlic and Sapphires
by Ruth Reichl

Articles on food rarely seem to warrant tears, but Reichl's food story entitled "Missionary for the Delicious" had me in tears in B&N late last week. It was a beautiful homage to the tradition of sincere and authentic food made by sincere and authentic people. Reichl achieves amazing depth and detail in her stories about her food adventures in only a few pages. I can't wait to curl up with her book in that warm chair that sits directly in front of the cookbooks, sitting Indian style.


Everything is Illuminated
by Jonathan Safran Foer

A former classmate did a great review of this novel, and I was convinced I had to read it immediately. However, a year would pass and I would have seen the film before having read the novel. The movie was great so I'm excited to experience the novel in the voice that Safran Foer wrote it.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I had to add "Garlic and Sapphires" to my reading list. Combining two things I love: food and a moving story? I didn't need to hear any more. Thanks Nicole!

Nicole said...

No prob :) From the little I've started reading it's sometimes hilarious and then reflective...I really hope you enjoy it!

Nikita T. Mitchell said...

I think I may pick up Fruit of the Lemon if I see it in my library!